The Google News Initiative Fellowship is an opportunity to work at one of the participating newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023.
Depending on the particular matching criteria of each newsroom, Student Fellows will research and write stories, contribute to open source data projects, design new digital products, and/or contribute to one of the many other innovative projects newsrooms have ongoing.
- Host: Google Inc.
- Category: Training | Fellowships
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: €2,500 Salary | Training
- Deadline: April 21, 2023
The GNI Student Fellowship will be kicked off with an online bootcamp that will allow the Student Fellows to get to know one another, build a network, and receive career-enhancing workshops from experts in the work field. This year, the organisers are also doubling down on their efforts to increase Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the programme.
It is aimed at students and recent graduates who can apply to become Student Fellows at one of the participating newsrooms. Selected Student Fellows will work at one of the newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023 and will be compensated for their work.
To be considered for the fellowship, you must:
- You are 18 years or older.
- You are enrolled in or recently graduated (in 2020, 2021, or 2022) from an accredited education program. This includes:
- Master, Ph.D. or bachelor students/graduates
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a technical certificate.
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a professional certificate.
- Students/graduates of another accredited form of education in a relevant field, such as an apprenticeship or vocational training.
- You are from the country where the newsroom is based OR you are living and/or studying in the country where the newsroom is based. Students enrolled in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any of the newsrooms based in these three countries.
- You are legally allowed to work full-time in the country where the newsroom is based.
- They accept both full-time and part-time students.
Duration and Reward
- By applying, you get the chance to become a Student Fellow in 2023! If you are selected, you will get the unique opportunity to learn what it is like to work for a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are paid by their newsroom for eight weeks of full-time work. The minimum amount will be €2,500; the exact amount will be at the discretion of the newsroom.
- Student Fellows will attend useful workshops and enjoy network opportunities during the kick-off bootcamp. This bootcamp will prepare you to make the most out of your Fellowship.
- The European Journalism Centre will check in with all the Student Fellows during the Fellowship to provide them with guidance, training, and advice and touch base on progress and needs during the Fellowship.
- To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Work samples
READ ALSO: 2023 NNPC-Shell National University Scholarship Scheme For Nigerian Students
Method of Application
If you apply to UBC by January 15, you will be automatically considered for the IMES.
You will be considered for this scholarship shortly after you receive an offer of admission to UBC. Scholarship decisions are made between mid-March to the end of April each year.