The Court of Appeal in Lagos has upturned the earlier verdict of the Enugu State National Assembly and State House of Assembly tribunal, which nullified the election of Professor Sunday Nnamchi.
Recal that on September 8th, 2023, the tribunal had nullified Professor Nnamchi’s election as a candidate of the Labour Party and declared Prince Cornelius Nnaji (Ike Nike) as the winner of the February 25 polls.
The tribunal’s decision was based on the argument that the Labour Party candidate was not qualified to contest the election since he had not officially resigned from his university position before seeking the new political role.
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Admission List for 2023/2024 session
- Burna Boy offers to pay Nigerian blogs to stop covering him
However, Professor Sunday Nnamchi took the matter to the Court of Appeal, seeking to challenge and set aside the verdict of the lower court.
- Phyna tenders apology for her statement on abortion remark
- BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks LP’s Denis Agbo in Enugu, orders fresh election
- CBN official Naira to Foreign Exchange rates today, 4th November 2023
In its ruling issued on Friday, the Court of Appeal found merit in the appeal made by the Labour Party candidate, Professor Sunday Nnamchi. Consequently, the court declared him the rightful winner of the election to represent the Enugu East/Isi-Uzo Federal Constituency of the state, reversing the previous decision by the tribunal.